Like many of the ESL Games on this site ESL Game #053 – Snakes & Ladders is simply a personal childhood favorite slightly tweaked to include English language practice.Snakes & Ladders can be easily adapted to several language targets by simply adding an extra set of dice. In this example we’ve added weather as the topic by simply drawing a different type of weather on each side of one die (sunny, windy, stormy, rainy snowy and windy) and a different temperature on each side of the other die (hot, hot, cold, cold, warm and cool). Thanks to Mikey for the artwork on the dice.
- This ESL game is ideal for 4 players.
- One game of Snakes & Ladders should take between 10 – 20 minutes depending on how often players land on a snake or a ladder.
- The only materials required are a Snakes & Ladders board (available here), 2 numbered dice and 2 weather dice, which can be drawn on any blocks you have in your school.
- introduce the target language: “How’s the weather today?”, “It’s temperature and weather condition.” It’s important to notice that the second part of the target answer is the weather condition and should end with a “Y”. E.g. “It’s hot and sunny.”
- Have a paper, rock, scissors battle to determine who rolls first. Then go clockwise from the winner around the board.
- Each player rolls 4 dice at a time. After describing the weather they move their game piece the number of spaces the numbered dice indicate.
- Players that land on a snake have to slide down the snake and players that land on a ladder get to climb up the ladder.
- Once a player has finished describing the weather and moving their playing piece, they turn to the player sitting clockwise from them and ask “How’s the weather today?”
- Repeat step 3- 5 until one player reaches the final square on the board and wins the game.