Charades is a Classic ESL / EFL game. It’s a fun and easy way to teach and reinforce vocabulary. Playing is simple. Students have to mime out a lesson related word or phrase while their teammates try to guess what it is. But remember, there’s NO TALKING!
The Details About Charades
- Charades works in any class size.
- The only materials required are some teachers cards.
- Charades works best with students in Elementary and Junior High School.
How To Play Charades
- First, divide your class into 2 or 3 teams. For larger classes you can divide your class into teams and hand each team a stack of teachers cards. The teams have to race against each other. The first team to mime their way through their entire deck of cards wins!
- Then, start the game by showing one of your ESL / EFL students a flash card or vocabulary target.
- The actor then has to be able to act out what they read without speaking or making any sounds.
- The first team to guess the word or vocabulary target correctly gets a point.
- Repeat steps 2-4.
- I works great with any size of class.
- There's almost no materials required
- It's just about as simple as a classroom game can get.